The mRemoteNG.log is located in the following location:
[location of mRemoteNG.exe]\mRemoteNG.log
Crash at Startup¶
Try deleting the
user.config file. It contains all the user-specific program settings. This file is automatically upgraded between version when new user settings are added.
%LOCALAPPDATA%\mRemoteNG\<most recently updated folder>\<mRemoteNG version>\user.config
%APPDATA%\mRemoteNG\<most recently updated folder>\<mRemoteNG version>\user.config
- Provide the Stack Trace from the crash prompt or from the Windows Application Event Log example)
- Check C:UsersAll UsersMicrosoftWindowsWERReport* folders for any reports related to mRemoteNG
- Check %LOCALAPPDATA%CrashDumps for any mRemoteNG.exe.*.dmp files
- Attach the Error Reports, Dumps and mRemoteNG.log to a new Issue
Backup and Recovery¶
By default, your connections file is backed up every time it is saved. These backup files are normal/valid connections file - they have only been renamed to avoid being overwritten. mRemoteNG will save the 10 most recent backups.
Files and Locations¶
Your backup files are located in the same place as your normal connections file. This could be one of three places:
- Normal version: %AppData%\mRemoteNG
- Portable version: In the same location as mRemoteNG.exe
- If you have saved your confCons.xml to a custom location, go there.
There are 2 different backup naming schemes:
- confCons.xml.backup is the most recent backup that was taken.
- confCons.xml.YYYYMMDD-HHmmssxxxx.backup is a rolling backup that was moved to a rolling backup file on the date specified in the file name.
Recovering corrupted connections file¶
If you find that your confCons.xml file has corrupted or has lost its data, you will need to revert to a previous version.
- Locate your confCons.xml file
- Find the most recent backup file that appears to have data (>1KB in size).
- Rename or delete the corrupted confCons.xml file.
- Rename the chosen backup file to remove the date stamp and .backup suffix. Unless you set a custom path, your backup file should now be named confCons.xml.